Are The Termites In Monmouth County Dangerous?
April 20, 2022
While they may be small and inconspicuous, do not underestimate the power of the termite swarm. They work quietly, in silence and under cover of darkness, and given enough time, these tiny insects can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage at best, and at worst, they can completely compromise the structural integrity of your Monmouth County home. Read on to learn how to identify these sneaky pests, and what to do once you’ve found them.
What Do Termites In Monmouth County Look Like?
Here in Monmouth County, NJ, there is currently one type of termite species that's most commonly known to infest homes. This is the subterranean termite. Subterranean termites are usually a creamy white in color, but that can range to dark black as well. They have six legs, and their body is long, narrow, and oval in shape. Subterranean termites need a specific, ambient temperature to survive, and they curate this by creating mud tubes, which can be found outside your home, with one end attached to your house, and the other attached to a food source, such as a tree or bush.
How Do I Know If My Monmouth County Home Has Termites?
Termites work quietly, and therefore, signs of their infestation in your Monmouth County home can be difficult to spot. Below are some things to keep an eye out for:
- Termite swarms: Of course, seeing an actual termite is a sure-fire sign that they have invaded your Monmouth County home. Like ants, termites are unlikely to be found wandering by themselves, meaning they will be found in swarms, usually flying.
- Shed wings: Termites swarmers shed their wings, and these can usually be found by doors and window sills. These wings have a resemblance to fish scales.
- Mud tubes: Exclusive to subterranean termites, these thin, pencil-sized mud tubes can usually be found outside your home, with one end attached to the house and the other end attached to some sort of food source, like a bush or tree. These tubes create the perfect temperature for subterranean termites and allow for them to easily travel between your house and other sources of food.
What Does A Termite Infestation In Monmouth County Look Like?
Because termites orchestrate their destruction in quiet, you may notice the damage they have caused before you even see a single sign of them in your Monmouth County home. Below are some things you may see if termites have infested your Monmouth County home:
- Serpentine galleries: As termites chew through wood, they create maze-like tunnels, often called serpentine galleries. A sign termites have been chewing through your wooden beams is the presence of these galleries.
- Squeaky floorboards: If you notice your floorboards are squeakier than normal, it could be a sign that termites have been at work in your home. This is caused because of the tunnels they create as they chew through your wooden floorboards, and it may be one of the first signs of infestation that you notice.
- Hollow wood: Tap the wooden beams and boards in your home. If they sound hollow when tapped on, call a professional immediately. This indicates that the damage from termites in your home is excessive, and professional intervention is needed to remove them.
How Does Alliance Pest Services Get Rid Of Termites In Monmouth County?
Alliance Pest Services has been dealing with pests local to the Monmouth County area since 1983. We pride ourselves on the personalized treatment that we bring to each and every case, including the termite infestation in your home. We provide this by sending out an expert technician that is armed with the skills, knowledge, and tools required to safely and effectively exterminate entire termite infestations.
Treatment starts with an inspection to identify the extent of the termite infestation in your home. Once the presence of termites has been detected, our technicians will tailor our treatments to ensure that the entire termite infestation is destroyed, and they will then work with you to implement prevention strategies to ensure they do not return. Upon completion, Alliance Pest Services will continue to follow up with you to ensure your home stays termite-free. We know that owning a home can be overwhelming — let us handle the pests. Call us today!