The Mosquitoes In Monmouth County Can Be Dangerous
June 10, 2022
Encountering an invasion of mosquitoes around your yard can be dangerous, thanks to the many diseases you can get from mosquitoes via their itchy bites. If you want to get rid of mosquitoes permanently, reach out to pest control in Monmouth County to learn how to repel mosquitoes from your yard effectively.
What Is The Purpose Of Mosquitoes In Monmouth County?
Though many individuals only think of mosquitoes as a bother, this insect is surprisingly essential to the ecosystem of Monmouth County. In all of their life stages, mosquitoes serve as an important food source for the areas, birds, fish, and insects. Adult mosquitoes are important pollinators for plants and flowers in Monmouth County. Without mosquitoes being in the ecosystem, several species of birds, fish, and plants would suffer.
A Brief History Of Mosquito Control
Believe it or not, mosquito control has been a hot topic in the United States as far back as the 1800s. Mosquitoes were proven to be the main culprits behind many illnesses, and efforts were put into place to control this pest's breeding grounds and eradicate any significant infestations. DDT became the most popular treatment for mosquitoes around the 1940s, but eventually, there was a connection to many animal and liver problems in humans.
More eco-friendly ways to combat mosquitoes became popular after this discovery. Today's companies use a combination of effective chemical and natural treatments that are safe in your yard while still removing any mosquito problem that you may have.
The Diseases Mosquitoes Can Transmit
Mosquitoes can have many diseases, some of which can be serious; they can transmit diseases through a bite. Not every mosquito carries an illness, but the more you have hanging around your yard, the more likely you are to encounter a disease-carrying mosquito.
Illnesses you may pick up from mosquitoes include:
- Zika virus
- Chikungunya virus
- West Nile virus
- Yellow Fever
If you have disease-carrying mosquitoes in your yard, reach out to the mosquito professionals at Alliance Pest Services.
Natural Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard
These natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes can help deter this pest from settling in your yard and breeding, leading to a full-blown infestation down the line.
- Remove areas of standing water as this is where mosquitoes prefer to breed. They only need an inch of water, so be thorough.
- Clean out gutters, fill holes in your yard, and ensure your property has proper drainage to prevent moist areas.
- Change the water in birdbaths and other water features regularly and consider treating pond water for mosquitoes.
- Trim back shrubs and branches to prevent moist, shady areas around your property.
- Keep the grass in your yard trimmed low and remove any debris, such as woodpiles, to make the area less desirable to mosquitoes.
- Invest in plants that mosquitoes hate the scent of, such as citronella, lavender, marigold, and lemongrass. These are especially effective when placed around decks and patios.
In addition to these home remedies to keep mosquitoes away, you should be reaching out to Alliance Pest Services for more advice or assistance if you have an ongoing mosquito infestation. Only professionals can truly eliminate mosquitoes and keep this pest away year-round.