What To Do About Squirrels Around the Monmouth County Area
January 10, 2022
Squirrels are commonplace in the Monmouth County area and typically thought of as harmless critters, but once squirrels enter your property, they can cause more problems than their cuteness makes up for. Using proper prevention tactics and relying on professional pest control is the best way to rid yourself of a squirrel problem.
What You Need To Know About Squirrels
Squirrels are a type of rodent that many can easily recognize. They have bushy tails, bodies ranging from slender to plump, large eyes, and come in colors from dark brown to a lighter, tan-brown. Many individuals may not mind squirrels around their home and won’t pay attention to them, while others may even encourage squirrels by feeding them. However, this can be a mistake as a large number of squirrels around your Monmouth County property can lead to some serious issues.
When squirrels become especially confident in an area, they may be tempted to invade your home or business. Squirrels are not usually aggressive, but a squirrel infestation can bring a higher risk of an attack if the squirrels feel threatened. Additionally, squirrels are rodents which means they have the constant need to chew. Chewing can lead to significant damages inside your home or business as squirrels chew through wood or electrical wires, racking up costly repair bills.
You should also be aware that squirrels can carry serious diseases like leptospirosis, salmonellosis, and tularemia. In more rare cases, they may also be a vector of rabies. Plus, squirrels tend to carry parasites such as fleas and ticks on them. When these pests enter your property, they will drop off these parasites, bringing additional risks of infestations and disease transmissions.
Squirrel Prevention Tips
If you want to be sure to keep squirrels off your property and away from your home or business, there are several prevention tactics you can undertake.
- Squirrels are attracted to bird feeders around your property because they are easy food sources; remove or reduce access to these areas to deter these pests.
- Clear overhanging tree branches away from the roof of your home or business to prevent these pests from climbing trees and onto the building.
- Seal up any potential entry points that squirrels may use to enter your property. Seal up gaps in windows, doors, the roof, and the foundation of your home. You may also want to invest in a chimney cap.
- Consider using a yard deterrent such as a scarecrow or owl figure to scare squirrels away from your property in the first place. You may also plant daffodils and geraniums, as squirrels hate the odor these plants give off.
- Fix any leaks or clogged gutters both inside and outside your home to stop squirrels from coming to your property seeking out pools of moisture.
Efficient Squirrel Control
Squirrels may seem like friendly additions to your garden, but these pests can cause more problems than you can handle. For more advice and assistance, contact the professionals at Alliance Pest Services. Our experts can provide you with efficient squirrel control to keep these pests away from your property for good.