What To Do About Monmouth County Ant Infestations
April 30, 2022
Here in Monmouth County, NJ, homeowners must deal with all different kinds of pest infestations, including ants. While they may be small and inconspicuous, some ants here in Monmouth County are capable of causing severe damage, so it is important to understand what kind of ant species are likely to invade your home, and what to do if you find signs of an ant infestation. Read on to learn more.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Monmouth County Homes
There are several types of ant species native to the area. Below are some of the ants you are likely to find trying to gain entry into your home:
- Carpenter ants: The largest type of ant in Monmouth County, carpenter ants can grow to be up to 1/2 inch long. Their color ranges from black to brown. Like termites, carpenter ants chew through wooden beams and floorboards, and are capable of completely compromising the structural integrity of your home.
- Crazy ants: These ants are characterized by their erratic running patterns, and are black or brownish in color. They grow to only be about 1/8 of an inch long. While their bites to humans are not as dangerous as other types of ants, crazy ants are invasive and can cause serious damage to local nature and agriculture and should be exterminated immediately upon identification.
- Odorous house ants: The most common ant you are likely to find in your Monmouth County home, these little ants are small and black and get their name from the foul odor they produce when crushed. These are the ants you are likely to find crawling on your counters, searching for food.
- Pharaoh ants: Lighter in color than the other local ants, Pharaoh ants are dangerous to humans because they can spread diseases when they travel across your food and countertops.
Why Ants Invade Monmouth County Homes
The first step to preventing ant infestations in your home is to understand what makes your house appealing in the first place. Below are some of the reasons you may have an ant infestation:
- Holes in the sides of your home: If there are any holes in the siding of your house, no matter how small, ants may be using them to gain entry.
- Ripped window screens: The holes in the siding of your house include any and all window screens. If any of them are torn at all, ants could again be using them to get into your home.
- Access to food: If you have lots of easy-to-access food in your kitchen and pantries, ants will be eager to set up shop there. This area will be even more appealing to ants if your food is not properly stored.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Your Monmouth County Home
When it comes to dealing with any kind of pest infestation in Monmouth County, the best thing to do is call an expert, such as Alliance Pest Services. However, there are some things you can do as a homeowner to prevent ants from getting into your home in the first place:
- Seal up entry points: Go around your house and seal up any potential entry points. Caulk up holes in the siding of your house, and repair all ripped and torn window screens.
- Clean up messes: Be sure to thoroughly clean up any messes you make with food and liquids (especially liquids high in sugar) immediately upon spilling them, as this will discourage ants from wanting to forage for food in your home.
- Properly store food: Make sure that the food you have in your kitchen and pantries is properly stored in containers that cannot be chewed through. This will make your home much less appealing to ants.
Natural Ant Prevention Tips For Monmouth County Homes
Because ants are so difficult to get rid of on your own, the best thing you can do to prevent ant infestations and exterminate an existing infestation is to call us at Alliance Pest Services. Our expert technicians are armed with the skills, tools, and knowledge required to safely and effectively exterminate the ant infestation in your home. They will also work with you and assist with implementing tried and true prevention strategies, ensuring they do not return. At Alliance Pest Services, we know that there's a lot that goes into owning a home, and you shouldn't have to worry about ant infestations damaging your home — let us take care of that for you. Call us today for more info about our home pest control services.