How To Keep Fleas Away From Your Pets And Family In Monmouth County
June 30, 2022
You may think that spotting a flea around your home is no big deal, but this tiny pest can quickly lead to a full-blown flea infestation if you’re not careful. To avoid flea bites and potential flea diseases, you should be reaching out to pest control in Monmouth County for more advice and assistance.
Is This A Flea?
Because of their smaller size and dark-colored appearance, fleas can often be confused for other household pests such as certain types of beetles and bed bugs. You can use these identifiers to determine whether or not your pest problem is from fleas or something different:
- Fleas have flat bodies, six legs, and antennae. They can jump relatively high and grow no larger than an eighth of an inch.
- Fleas are a dark brown in color but can sometimes appear reddish-brown based on the last time they fed.
- You are likely to find fleas on your pets or carpet; your pets will be itching excessively because of this pest.
- You may see flea dirt on your pets or carpets and other fabric areas. This appears small and dark, like pepper or coffee grounds, and turns reddish when met with water.
If you’re still having trouble identifying fleas even after checking for the indicators on our list, don’t hesitate to reach out to Alliance Pest Services for more assistance.
Fleas In Monmouth County Can Be Dangerous
Though many people believe fleas are a nuisance, this insect can be quite dangerous. This is due to diseases that fleas carry and transmit either to your pet via their bites.
Illnesses you or your pets can pick up from fleas include:
- Murine Typhus
- Cat-scratch Disease
- Heartworms (this only occurs in animals)
Six Ways To Keep The Fleas Away
To keep the fleas away from your home and pets, you can follow these effective flea prevention tactics:
- Check your pets for fleas, especially after they’ve spent time outdoors or with other animals, and work with your veterinarian to put effective flea treatment in place on your pets.
- Clean carpets regularly and wash pet bedding in hot water routinely. Also, wash the fabrics in your home often to kill flea eggs or adult fleas.
- Keep the grass in your yard trimmed low and remove debris to reduce flea hiding spots.
- Store all firewood away from your home and reach pets as fleas love to live in piles of wood.
- Vacuum your home often and declutter it to eliminate all life stages of fleas.
- Utilize cedar chips and nematodes around your yard to kill flea larvae and reduce the chances of this pest invading your home.
How To Get Fleas Out Of Your Home For Good
If you want to know how to get rid of fleas for good, you should reach out to Alliance Pest Services at the first sign of this pest in your home. Our experts at Alliance Pest Services can inspect your home to determine the scale of your flea problem and develop customized treatment solutions that ensure this pest is completely taken care of.
Trust in the best way to get rid of fleas – Alliance Pest Services – and reach out to the professionals for flea control assistance today.