How Did These Bed Bugs Get Into My Monmouth County Home?
March 9, 2021
We hate to break it to you, but those bumps all over your arms and legs – chapped skin or mosquito bites may not be to blame. In fact, you may be dealing with a household menace that is very, very dangerous to your sanity.
Bed bugs are some of the strongest repeat pest offenders in Monmouth County. Known for their small body frames, brown exoskeletons, and interesting 'sweet' scent, the presence bed bugs in your home could be pointing towards disaster for your physical and mental health.
Truth be told, bed bugs are not just attracted to dirty or cluttered homes. In all actuality, these pests can appear in any environment and attack any household or public place. Bed bugs almost disappeared from the United States when high-powered DEET sprays began to get widespread use at the turn of the century. After the ban on DEET only a few decades ago, bed bugs have experienced a population resurgence unlike anything ever seen before. If you currently have a bed bug infestation, know that it's not your fault.
If you're not sure whether bed bugs are what's plaguing your household, here are some ways to tell:
- Bed bugs have oval-shaped bodies with six tiny legs and a pair of very small eyes.
- Bed bugs give off a sickly sweet or musky odor when in large numbers.
- Bed bugs leave brown or rusty red spots on the linens they infest.
- Bed bugs sometimes leave small egg pouches (known as ootheca) in the areas they live.
The uncleanliness of your home is not what attracts bed bugs to your door. Instead, your frequency of travel might be what's to blame. Let's explore how this might happen below.
The Many Ways Bed Bugs Get Inside Residential Homes
Bed bugs are commonly known as "hitchhiking pests" due to their behavioral pattern of hitching rides from person to person. They are often found in greater numbers around higher populations of people, creating what pest control experts call bed bug hot spots. Hot spot areas around Monmouth County include:
- Bus stations
- Airport terminals
- Ships or cruise liners
- Motels and hotels
- Overnight accommodations
Preventing bed bugs from hitching a ride on your items may prove to be tricky while in these areas. Follow the below tips for the greatest amount of protection.
- Refrain from putting your baggage and other personal items on the ground in a public place.
- Wash all of your clothing on the highest heat setting after returning from a trip.
- Inspect your overnight accommodations for signs of bed bug activity.
Bed bugs may also choose to hitchhike inside of secondhand furniture or appliances. If you plan to purchase a used item, you will need to inspect it for signs of pest activity before bringing it into your house.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Does the item appear to be clean and in good condition?
- Does the item have any signs of spotting or waste patches?
- Are there small bugs, egg sacks, or other obvious signs of pest activity on the item?
Need more help? Schedule a home bed bug inspection with Alliance Pest Services today.
Bugger Down On Bed Bugs With Alliance Pest Services
Despite your best intentions, bed bugs may still find a way to get into your home. If you find yourself with bed bug infestation, call the professionals at Alliance Pest Services. Learn more about our bed bug control solutions.